Gibbard Block was constructed in 1913 by William T. Gibbard, President of the Gibbard Furniture Company of Ontario, In partnership with William Magrath and Bildwell Holgate. It was designed by Ernest Morehouse, a prominent Edmonton architect who designed many of the prestigious Highlands residences.
The Gibbard Block was originally a luxurious apartment building with two retail shops on the main floor.
The building reflects the influence of the Classical Revival Style, Including cornice brackets. It had incorporated many modern features for the times, such as telephones and intercoms, an acetylene power plant and bathrooms with natural light from a skylight well.
Former → future Glory
Throughout 2018 The Gibbard Block will be undergoing a multi million dollar renovation, building on the history, style, and community it calls home. We will retain and restore many of its original characteristics including its natural light wells and architecture. The construction will include significant improvements to the structure to meet modern standards.